7/18/2012

"Tip Of The Iceberg" Chap11


What to do on a day when it's so hot I didn't even think of going out? How about an "Iceberg"? Ahhhh, I'm feeling cool already.
I've been thinking about this one since Mike Rose got me looking through my files for LV concrete phone enclosures a few weeks ago. He actually found one that still exists near Mehoopany on the old LV Coxton to Sayre line. It looks different than the ones I'm familiar with though? This is some of the stuff my dig turned up:
I did catch a PRR GP 40 at the crossing (B&W) in the '68. Can't explain that move. The D&H was certainly common. In this 1982 image they're making a drop at the Gibbon's Brewery. Note the grain hopper in the distance.

The one I'm most intimate with was at the D&H/LV crossing at Conyngham Ave in Wilkes-Barre. The crossing looking south in 4-80

 Looking north 12-84

 The portrait shot 4-80

As it exisits 6-12 in a recycling plant on N. Pennsylvania Ave in W-B. It's only 100 yards from it's original home.

A model of one on my layout.

Not a lot of chattering this time. I'm gonna have an ice cream soda,
A great weekend to all,

Wayne Sittner
 
 
 

No comments: