4/22/2011

Remember Conrail?

A few of us got to remembering that April 1st was the 35th anniversary of the formation of Conrail. We were swapping stories of what we rememberd from that time. It got pretty involved and interesting when we also started emailing slide scans from the 70's. I think I sent you some scans of old Mech'ville B&M slides that were from that digression. The Caboose model came about from a few of us taking things even further. We each agreed to build a model of a piece of CR equipment. My choice was this N5c caboose. The basis for my model was the Bowser kit for the classic Pennsy port hole N5c. I got one that was pre-dec so paint and decaling was avoided but, I did have to make a few changes for the sake of accuracy. Notably: The trucks had to be switched to rollerbearing leaf spring, the steps were different, the roof walk was eliminated and the window by the toilet was blocked and the vent added. The other changes were for personal preference, those changes being the wire handrails and cut levers. The first image shows the modifications I made clearly.



Hope you enjoy,


Wayne Sittner

No comments: