5/09/2014

"Vintage"

 
It's no secret I first got interested in HO modeling through the pages of MR in the late 50's. Back then the only decent kits were Globe/Athearn, Varney, Silver Streak, Model Die Casting, etc. (I'm talking metal and wood, not plastic.) My heroes were Paul Larson, Jack Work, Manville Wakefield and yes, even John Allen. Over the years I've saved all my old models (and MR's) from that time and even added to the roster occasionally. I got the Jack Work built CP box car a few years ago.)


I've always been fortunate to have storage space for my accumulation of "stuff". Over the years the models have received upgrades like Kadee couplers, replacement wheels and/or trucks and better weathering. They do see run time on the layout. All are very cooperative runners except the Varney (Vulcan) Dockside. I think it was designed to only run on code 100 track. It DOES NOT like the addition of the joint bars! The growl of an open frame Pittman on the Hobbytown RS3! Wow! Who needs to spend the fortune it takes to go with contemporary sound systems? Kidding, of course! But, the cloth insulated wiring I could do without. But hey, it's still good!


So, enjoy the state of design in HO model railroad equipment from the 40's. (Built in the late 50's and early 60's) Maybe MR would even have run this picture of my Dockside so I could join my "heroes"on their pages!

Wayne Sittner
 
 

No comments: