2/12/2015

D$& On Rogers Island

We return to one of my favorite night photo locations on Canadian Pacifics ex-D&H main line tonight, Rogers Island in Fort Edward, NY. It has been quite some time since my last visit here. Reminding myself that I can never be too early for the train I want to shoot, and how it is much more enjoyable doing this as a retiree, I arrive here tonight FIVE hours before D47 does! The shot however, was worth it! See what you think. Greg Klingler who helped with past shots of the D&H painted BL2 night photos at Riverside Station met me tonight to pose in the photo but had to head home early by eleven p.m. to get rest for his job. While we waited I confessed to Greg as to how I thought D47 was much later than we expected due to the fact I violated “Railfan Rule #6 driving down from Hinesburg.................Thou shall always make certain the train one wants to shoot has left its terminal BEFORE thou does! lol!
 
The big attraction here tonight was, of course, D47s southbound leader, D&H 7304, one of only two remaining locomotives on the CP roster to wear the final D&H paint scheme. I wanted an image of 7304 here before it was re-assigned to a different job. And before the snow cover disappeared!  Greg left for home around eleven, and it was almost an hour and a half later that I could hear, finally, over the depth charges being set off by river beaver nearby, a train approaching from the north! There was no mistaking the low roar a train makes at night! A couple test shots confirmed everything was working correctly with the lights and camera, after spending the last five hrs. waiting, powered up. 7304s air horn is heard blowing for the street crossing above my location here, and about a minute later headlights swing around the curve leading to the bridge over the Hudson. All is forgiven over the long wait as 7304 wheels out onto the bridge, reaches my mark and is captured by the lighting and camera! SUCCESS!
 
Shot on Rogers Island in Fort Edward, New York on January 21, 2015 at 00:28. Please enjoy! Comments are welcome.
 
All The Best In 2015;
Gary Knapp

No comments: