2/29/2016

Rob Gould's DCC Corner

 
 
After about with short circuits this winter I decided it was time to evaluate my DCC system.  Overtime my layout grew but my Digitrax system did not.  At any given time my layout had 39 locos & 5 of those had sound. If I was running 3 trains at once that might be 8 or 9 locos at once.  Also I went  from 3 small staging yards to 3 big staging yards.  Clearly I needed a booster.  My thought was that the current draw from the larger layout with more locos and a longer track bus was part of the problem with short circuits.  Some DCC systems are fooled into to thinking the large current draw upon power-up is a short circuit when the system is trying to recover from a real short circuit such as a derailment.  Digitrax makes boosters and circuit brakers.  Most of the articles I read about enlarging your DCC system point out that you may not need a booster but rather a circuit breaker.  I decided to add both.  I added an 8 amp booster and 2 circuit breakers that have 4 districts per unit.
 
The hardest part was deciding how to divide the layout into isolated blocks with double gapped rails.  Only slightly less harder was getting over the fact that I removed dozens of insulated rail joiners when I converted to DCC.  Now I was putting some back in!  Here are some thoughts on dividing the layout up into blocks.   Choose areas that you can see such as the end of a staging yard and make that its own block.  Make blocks where locos tend to congregate such as a shop scene or industrial area.
I choose 7 blocks and thus have 1 spare circuit breaker for expansion.  I located the booster as far as possible from the command station.  Also I added a new powers supply which handles the command station and booster.  It is interesting to note that each breaker needs its own power supply separate from the command station/booster power supply.  You may want to consider a toggle switch which could shut off areas such as a diesel terminal when not in use.

No comments: