2/11/2018

My 1960 Built ERIE Caboose #326



  Restored Erie caboose and, as such, lacks some of the original detail.


This is something you likely have little interest in and less use for but, I'm finally filling another gap in my desires for completion  of a dream.  Since the ERIE did run down into the Wyoming Valley I thought they should have a small presence in one of my layout scenarios.  To accomplish that thought I acquired an ERIE (Bachmann sound equipped) ALCO S2/4 a few years ago.  Now I've added a caboose to accompany it (Also Bachmann).  

Many years ago I built a couple of the ERIE/EL cabooses, as acquired by Conrail (shown) and the D&H.  These were substantially reworked and detailed  Athearn's.  I wasn't interested in repeating that effort again so jumped on the Bachmann version that looked pretty good and was already painted and lettered.  Well, it turned out to need quite a bit of reworking anyway!  Most of the work was to the roof and underframe.  I switched the smoke stack to the opposite side and added the radio antenna and walk extension to the roof.  I had to replace the trucks with Athearn express reefer trucks and move the bolsters in 1/8" so they wouldn't hit the steps on curves. With a rebuilt battery box and a Cal-Scale generator added the heavy work was finished.  After that it was just super details, and weathering!



Enjoy, Wayne Sittner


The more I thought and looked at the caboose - the more I realized it shouldn't represent 1952 when it was near new.  I don't think that series would have been used for the runs to Ashley until later in their careers.  I've since added weathering to represent as it may have appeared in 1960.
Note also the addition of the brakeman.  True to a prototype photo in my collection!






No comments: