2/11/2018

Rescuing The Vermonter Crop


With another winter snowstorm departing the region yesterday, I decided it would be a great night to stay local and shoot the NECR! Conveniently ignoring the obvious fact, that with six to fifteen new inches of fresh snow access to my favorite locations would involve more than strolling around with the lights. My intention was to shoot train 324 on its southward journey behind a solid set of G&W painted units. Leaving Hinesburg at midnight it was instantly a challenge getting down to the interstate, but once on I89 one lane was in decent shape for forty five to fifty mph. My plan was to go to S. Royalton, but with the roads off the interstate so poor and 324 so late I changed my mind and went to the Red House in Northfield. I slogged around in snow over my knees looking things over before deciding I did not have enough time to set up before 324 would appear.
Back up the hill slowly to the interstate then south. The NECR dispatcher comes on the air, informing 324 they will meet two trains tonight. Amtrak and 323! Amtrak's Vermonter is broke down at MP 30, south of South Royalton, with 323 well behind it. The Genesis engines have died, sat down and refused to move. I reflect how the engineer probably flogged them too hard coming out of White River, LOL! A spare NECR crew has been called out of White River Jct. to take train 600s power to rescue Amtrak. The plan is to run light engine up to, then push Amtrak up to the passing siding at S. Royalton, then run around The Vermonter using the siding and back down to couple on before “highballing” to St. Albans! 324 is set up to meet both trains at Randolph. I head there too! I remember train 600 uses one or two four axle engines as a rule and decide to see how my luck is tonight? And plan on shooting Amtrak and 323 in Randolph. The power for 600 “could be” set up long hood forward............(boo, hiss) and it might not be painted in the G&W colors either. I decide to take my chances.
The Randolph cop who is in his last hour of his night shift is sitting in the SUV in front of the police station. A vehicle appears up the street, and Gary drives by arriving in the civic! There is no place to park. High snowbanks where parking areas once existed. I try different approaches to the area I park in by the police station, all of which fail. There is no room! The cop watching me from his SUV. Finally I park parallel to the road beside him, get out and ask if I can park there. He says “no”! I think...........well, that’s pretty clear, lol! I ask about three other spots I can see, all of which get a “NO!” Then he explains how they will be plowing soon, and I explain what I am up to. He looks at me and says.......”So you’re the guy! I’ve heard about you. It’s nice to finally meet you!” We discuss wether the railroad is actually running trains tonight or not, he is aware of Amtrak stopped on the main, I contribute yes, that is the train I am here for! Then I ask where I can park and he points up and across the street to the bank parking lot. He agrees to allow me to unload equipment here before moving the car. I love stuff like this at night! Unexpected obstacles more often than not point to a great night photo opportunity beyond them.
324, with permission to the north switch comes into town as I unload equipment. They get clearance to go further south to Bethel where they will meet Amtrak followed by 323. I watch and wave as they pass by then go park the car, walk back over, realize I forgot my mark in the car, walk back to the car to get it, then return. Ok I think......lets do this! I climb over a snowbank and up to track level with the lights and stepladder, the snow is deep but powder! I have a good idea where everything goes and in maybe forty five minutes I am set up after tiptoeing carefully around in my footsteps, not wanting to fall and make a crater, knowing I can erase them later in photoshop. All the time Mother Nature has been contributing a steady snowfall with temps in the upper teens/low twenties. Really ideal conditions! But...........will it be like this at train time?
The dispatcher comes in loud & clear here on my hand held radio and eventually I hear Amtrak given permission from the north siding switch Bethel to St. Albans. No engine number mentioned. Jeez, I am hoping they are not running long hood forward! I’m visualizing a GP 38/GP 40 here leading Amtrak Genesis engines. The snow keeps falling! Minutes tick by as I nervously keep looking over at streetlights to reassure myself it’s still snowing. Finally I hear the NECR engineer loud & clear call on approach to Randolph, then back to the Amtrak conductor to spot him at Randolph! They are close! And they are making the normal stop here? I’m amazed! The passengers are still onboard?! The Vermonter is over nine hours late normally due here at 18:52. I was expecting a runby. I don’t hear an air horn until they have activated the crossing signals below my location. Maybe the air horn is plugged with snow? Up past the station comes the Amtrak Rescue, headlights obscuring number boards as the conductor calls out car lengths before the stop. I see cab facing me and 3317 at the same moment......Holy cow! It’s the Tunnel Motor! Slowly the head end drifts up towards me, passes my mark, I wait a second and press the shutter. Orange, black, white and silver reflect back as the cab comes to a stop directly beside and above me. I give the conductor a thumbs up, he is busy, ignores me and that’s fine, lol!
Within a minute Amtrak is on the move, and I shoot the two Genesis engines (well known for not liking winter) going past with five cars trailing. Two engines.......five cars? AND.......Mother Nature came through again for me as well! It was still snowing! The snowflakes in the black sky add a lot to the feel of the photo!  Special thanks to Ed Ferguson! Shot in Randolph, Vermont on February 8, 2018 at 04:19. 1/800 @f2.8. Please enjoy! Comments are welcomed.


All The Best In 2018;
Gary Knapp

No comments: