8/02/2010

Cobleskill Coal and Uncle Pete

Hope everybody is enjoying the heat this week. God do we need rain. Every creek is dry from my house all the way to Binghamton. Speaking of Binghamton on Wednesday morning I had to make a run down to a fellow Harley dealer to swap bikes. After a quick stop at CPF-503 Below Delanson but in still in the Duanesburg to check the signals which were upon my arrival dark so I decided to keep moving, after a quick stop at Dunkin Donuts in Schoharie I jumped on 88. For some reason I decided to get back off and drive down into Cobleskill. I have never been down to see the abandoned coal building which dates back to the late 1880’s. There is a great article which appeared in Railroad Model Craftsman many years ago that talked about its history and had detailed photos of it inside and out. Branchline Trains now offers a fabulous laser kit of it for both HO and N. Anyways I don’t know why I never went here before stupid me. While walking around I heard a horn to the south. Great a northbound. I got set up. I figure here we go another set of NS GE’s but instead UP power. Cool! After taking my pics I got back in my Sprinter and headed south. I was temped to head back to (CPF-503) to get one more shot but I wanted to stay on Schedule and also grab Breakfast at the Greek Diner in Oneonta. As I drove south I didn’t see anymore trains until Oneonta where another NB (#931) was going under 88. Dean



Dean J. Splittgerber

1 comment:

winnsayre said...

It still stands!!! I took a series of photos when the line was still D&H in the early 1980's. I think I came back again in the late 90's. The thing I can't get over is the overgrowth. Amazing. WS