8/19/2010

Wayne Sittner CR (exLV) cabooses

About a year ago I got back into a Conrail state of mind (for a while) and ended up doing a group of different classes of cabooses. These included ex EL, RDG, PC and LV. At the time I modeled the CR versions (I think) I did them quite accurately. All were based on prototype photos. The original LV's I didn't finish at that time. I was somewhat intimidated by the work I perceived as necessary to do the job right. This situation was corrected this week. It's cool in the workroom and nasty hot outside!!! I don't know if you have an interest in this but, the changes were really just a bit time consuming. My CR (ex LV) was from a prototype that was shopped at Juniata. They added a Pennsy smoke stack and some changes to the ends but other than that it stayed pretty much LV with only a poor paint job It was showing major rust after only three or four years. Reading (under CR) reshopped a lot of cabooses too, by the way. I used the Walthers Proto 2000 as a basis on these, it's head and sholders above any previous model of "Northeast caboose" It was a perfect Reading but not LV. I added the third step to each corner, proper end detail as from the LV shopping of the early 60's, proper height smoke stack and some other small stuff.

I don't know of many other modelers that are doing much Conrail and only a few doing really serious LV. If you think anyone else would be interested in this information or are doing anything with the Walthers model feel free to forward.

Later,
Wayne Sittner

No comments: