8/09/2012

Fort Edward Freight House

During my return from Plattsburgh I stopped in Fort Edward to do some snooping around the old 1880's built freight house which amazingly still survives.....Thanks to a confirmation of its existence by Rob Dennis I was rewarded with some pics to share. I gotta say I am a sucker for old Board and Batten Freight Houses especially those built in the 1800's. God only knows how much longer this one has. If it still survives by fall I am looking forward to making another trip over to document it when all the vegetation has dyed down. Its interesting to note the differences in freight houses that were located on the A&S versus the north end. The Battens on A&S freight houses are square, if you look at the Battens on a North end freight house there kind of ornamental like crown molding. The same goes for the rafters on the underside of the roofs. You don't see that on A&S style freight houses but there is Gingerbread molding along the roof line. Fort Edward yard looked pretty busy from the view I had from the freight house. Two CSX Ge's were waiting for a loaded Sludge train while one of the Finger Lakes GE's was switching around in the GE Dewatering facility. A ratty CP Geep was parked in the yard. As I was leaving #253 was coming north.




Dean J. Splittgerber
Duanesburg, NY

No comments: