7/25/2012

Lewistown Jct., PA


Jim Thomas deserves credit for being the first to recommend I visit Lewistown Jct., PA. I rolled into the parking lot here late one morning just before sunrise. Wow I thought.........look at the station! Once I was standing on the platform, Wow I thought............look how far away the tracks are! LOL! You can leave your wide angle lenses in the Civic here Gary. If I was fortunate enough to shoot a Heritage Unit here, I wanted to feature the engine in the photo, more than the station. Of course, this was an “if” statement! The view to the east here ends quickly as the double track main disappears into pretty much a blind curve, while the view to the west runs down a short stretch of tangent track before doing the same. As I walked the platform, I couldn’t avoid noticing the purple benches with plaques dedicating each bench to a train watcher from the area. Gawd, what a place to watch trains this must have been in the steam and early diesel days with the four track main and two tracks close to the platform that are gone in 2012. Trains would come around one curve to sweep past and disappear into the opposite curve! I left that morning to continue reconning the line. A week or more later I returned one night early, mounted the 100mm lens on the 5D and went for a walk along the far side of the tracks here. Liking this angle I set up the lights and stepladder. Train speed is twenty to thirty mph here, and the position light signals protect me from westbounds quietly emerging from the blind curve. Set up finally for an eastbound, westbounds start rolling by me. So I wait, waving to the locomotive cabs as they pass by. The crews seem to notice the light stands further away on either side of the tracks than myself next to them on the lawn! This is a good thing. The hand held scanner picks up lots of broken conversations between crews and before long an air horn is heard off to the west, advertising an eastbound approaching! By contrast, westbounds coming out of the blind curve behind me are much quieter, the nearest grade crossing further away. Thus began the passing of three eastbounds. With no Heritage Engines in the line up tonight, I am free to pick the best set of b&w power I get tonight, and the 7675 passing at 04:33 takes the prize! What a wonderful location! Special thanks to Jim Thomas! Please enjoy the view! Shot in Lewistown Jct., PA. on June 6, 2012 at 04:33 with the 5D and Zeiss ZF 100/2 lens. Comments are welcomed!
All The best In 2012;
Gary Knapp

No comments: