7/25/2012

My Trip To Vermont (Vergennes Edition)

After leaving the old D&H freight house in Fort Ann I ran up to Whitehall and then over into Vermont taking 22A north to Burlington as my destination was Essex Junction where I would end up swaping motorcycles with the dealer before heading back to Albany. I stopped in Vergennes and took a little break admiring whats left of the "Rut" and its surroundings. What a great little place. I have never been to Vergennes other than switching it on our club's layout (NEB&W). Check out the attached photos taken by the "Master Himself" Jim Shaugnessy courtesy of our clubs website compared to my crappy I-Phone pics. The old creamery, freight house and station are awesome with the Creamery being the best preserved by the Kennedy Brothers. Per there website (Kennedy Bros. Inc. located to Vergennes, Vermont in 1960. The white section was built in 1909 as a Milk Plant Creamery and the red brick plant was built by Sheffield Farms in 1931 for Casein Manufacturing. After they moved in, a complete production area as well as an adjacent gift shop was constructed. Making this a favorite stop for tourists, who enjoyed watching the wood ware being made.) You can learn more here http://kennedybrothers.com/



In one of the pics you can see the baskethandle arches on the side of the freight house which I have never seen before done.


Dean J. Splittgerber
Duanesburg, NY

No comments: